"And yet I have constructed in my mind a model city from which all possible cities can be deduced" Kublai said. It contains everything corresponding to the norm. Since the cities that diverge in varying degree from the norm, I need only foresee the exceptions to the norm and calculate the most probable combinations"
I have also thought of a model city from which I deduce all the others" Marco answered. "It is a city made only of exceptions, exclusions, incongruities, contradictions. If such a city is most improbable, by reducing the number of abnormal elements we increase the probability that the city really exists. So I have only to subtract exceptions from my model and in whatever direction I proceed, I will arrive at one of the cities which always as an exception, exist. But I cannot force my operation beyond a certain limit: I would achieve cities too probable to be real."
No comments:
Post a Comment